Monday, October 6, 2008

RESULTS - McMillan Insurance Ladies Curling Classic

Happy Monday everyone!
Well I didn't know what to expect going into the weekend with a spare at skip and a brand new team to boot. Firstly I'm happy to report that we qualified and reached the semi-finals. Not bad for our first spiel and not bad considering the circumstances. I'd also like to make a point of applauding the efforts of Tracy Lavery who stepped in to skip our team this weekend. She threw extraordinarily well and is an absolute delight to play with. I predict good things to come to her in the future and would gladly play with her again.
The competition here in Manitoba is very different from in Ottawa. I grew up here and curled in Juniors but have been away for awhile. This was an eye opener for me quite honestly. The competition is relentless and fierce. I like it, but you have to be able to keep up or you will go down in flames. The intensity of competition is also one of which will either teach you patience and perseverance, or completely crush you under the weight and pressure. There is no half way here. You play to win or you go home. There is no mercy what so ever.
I certainly wasn't expecting that it would be a cake walk, but seeing these teams and all there gear ,heavily decorated with the sponsors of there choice, are out for blood. I applaud them and I applaud Manitoba in general for being so supportive to the competitors of this sport. I know how difficult it is to get that added support.
Our next spiel is The Atkins Curling Supply Ladies Classic starting this Friday October 10-13. http://www.mts.net/~kenb/atkinsclassic/sched.html
Our skip will be joining us for this spiel this weekend and I do look forward to playing with her. We are however without our third Ainsley and in need of yet another spare. Unfortunately during our qualifying game this weekend she injured herself badly enough that she could not play out the game.
It does seem that this group is really being put to the test on all levels. Myself included. After next weekend I am not certain what will happen with this team. The 17th of October is a crucial date in that it will determine the fate of this team and curling season. I guess for now all we can do as a team is keep plugging away and take one game at a time.
For me, my focus will be on staying focused and staying positive. Making one shot at a time, and stay strong mentally.
One brush at a time.

No comments: