Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Summary of the Colonial Spiel Saskatoon and on to Abbottsford Wayden Transportation Women's Grand Slam

The Wayden Transportation Women's Grand Slam event is the next event I will be attending and sparing for Heather Rankin's team. I leave tomorrow and we play our first game @ 2:30pm on Friday. I'm very much looking forward to it as I had a wonderful time in Saskatoon. What a great experience and what a wonderful group of girls I curled with. They are very humble and very grounded. It was an absolute delight to play for them. Although from my perspective I thought we did very well, on a hard core curling team doing well isn't all that great. We won our first 3 games against P. Roy(SK), T. Ursel(MB) and Kelly Scott (BC) to reach the A side qualifier against World Champion Jennifer Jones from Manitoba. We had a good game against Jones, but needed to be better and lost 3-2. From there we played Michelle Englot (SK) and Leslie Rogers (AB) and lost two straight which ended our run in Saskatoon.
This was by far out of all the events I've participated in, in previous years one of the bigger ones to date. I learned a lot about the competition, the level of competition required to compete at these events and a WHOLE HECK of a lot about myself. Playing with a team that share the same goals, the same fire, and the same passion will get you where you want to go.

I want to firstly thank Team Rankin, Heather, Chrysta, Lisa, Kyla and Mo, for welcoming me whole heartedly to the team for these two events. It takes a lot of trust and faith to bring someone on board that you've never seen play before or ever even heard of before. They did with only the direction of Heather Rankin and Chrysta Lewis - Rankin without question to even my surprise. Even when things continued to go wrong or when things continued to go in different directions we stood together as a team and never gave up. What an experience and what an inspiration to me. Each of these team members has touched me in there own way on so many different levels and I thank them from the bottom of my heart for such a gift. I don't think I can express just how grateful I am for the opportunity to play with these ladies. I know, I know, I'm getting kind of mushy, but for someone who has never played in a Grand Slam event at this level of curling before and someone who has only dreamed of being able to....I am absolutely ecstatic to have the opportunity. This also isn't something you simply sign up for and hand in a cheque for. These girls have worked hard over the past years to accumulate enough points to be invited to participate in events such as this. No average Joe can simply walk off the street to participate in events like this. So for that I am graceous and will do whatever it is they require without question.
Again ladies, thank you so much for the opportunity and here's hoping this weekend is even better than the last!!

Also a shout out to the best shuttle driver in Saskatoon, NEIL!!

No comments: