Tuesday, November 25, 2008

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!! (update Wayden Transportation Ladies Grand Slam - Abbotsford BC)

I probably should have put up an update upon my return, however I have been distracted since getting back.
I will start with this. Abbotsford BC, what a BEAUTIFUL place to be. When I arrived on Thursday afternoon to a very small and intimate airport, the sun was shining, the grass was green, and the weather was simply lovely and refreshing. I was the first of the four of us to arrive and was met at the airport by our driver George. A very pleasant and obliging fellow who drove me around and showed me the town. He even went as far as to stop in at a fruit market so that I could get some apples and oranges to prepare for a lot of curling and a lot of sweeping.
I arrived at the hotel and located a room and made myself comfortable. I was pretty hungry and went to the restaurant attached to the hotel to grab some grub. I didn't realize just how busy it was as there was a waiting list to get a table and an extended wait. So I went back to my room, order some take out and watched some TV. After dinner I decided to have a soak in the hot tub I discovered along the way to the Restaurant. Ahh...it was great! I also discovered the bath and body products of
Bath & Body Works. These were the complimentary items of Shampoo/Conditioner/Soaps and body lotion the hotel provided to it's customers. What a wonderful product. I have heard of it before, but never plunged further into it to find out what it was all about. Until now, the Body Shop had been a place I frequented. Not anymore. What a wonderful product and I could go on, but I will digress for now.




My curling experience in Abbotsford with Team Rankin was fantastic regardless of the outcome. We were out after three games, but they were hard fought battles and I continued to learn during and after each game.

I had the opportunity to have a couple of very good friends visit me while I was out there. My very good friend Eunice who I haven't seen in over 10 years since I worked and lived in Montreal, and her fiance Les drove out to see me. My childhood friend Terri also came out from Vancouver and for a visit and took some pictures as well. It was fantastic to see them both!

Unfortunately this was the last curling experience I would have this season. Shortly upon my return from Abbotsford and through many emails and many phone calls, the team I was so excited about playing on came to it's demise. My skip finally came to conclude that she simply could not commit to the rest of the season. It was understandable without a doubt. My concern lied with the two remaining members. I would have hoped that the motivation to continue on and plug away the rest of the season may have been refocused to simply keep on keeping on and get familiar with each other for the meantime focusing on next season.

This was not the case. Finding another player and switching up positions and trying different options was not an option. It was disappointing. I was disappointed. What can I say? I thought that a team as reputable as this would have just kept on moving forward and simply change the focus for the season. Too many underlying issues and I believe the fate had been decided before I came on board.

So, now, my focus has changed again and I still believe things do happen for a reason. My family, my Dad, need me as I need them right now. It's been a rough couple of months without a doubt and I wouldn't change anything at all. I'm enjoying my family, my old friends, and my new friends, there company and am very thankful for the experiences and people have met thus far in my first year of being back in Manitoba. Yes it was 1 year last Monday December 15Th. Hard to believe already, and as I reflect back over this time there has been a lot of sadness. I lost my Uncle Albert, Chayse, Meeka, and Sniff. All of whom impacted my life and my family in many great ways. There has been many, many happy moments as well. Painting the Deck with my Dad and sister Jacquelyn while singing at the top of our lungs to the Beatles, 'GET BACK' and making my Mom and Dad laugh so hard that they were doubled over from the pain. All from the antics of my new roommate Ribit, my cat. Not knowing why she yelled at me all night long and the constant battles and arguments I had with her and apologies to her for shouting at her, only to discover that she was simply hungry. The realization, 'Hey, I'm not dead' after being asked out by three younger guys in a small town like Pinawa. Who would have thought? I'm thankful for my genes that allow me to look younger than my age. Yeah for me!

It's been a trying year without a doubt but the good out weighs the bad and the new memories and experiences I am thankful for. What will 2009 bring? Probably a bit of everything.

Wishing you all a very happy holiday season!!

No comments: