Friday, September 26, 2008

Ladies and Gentleman, THIS is Women's Curling.

I haven't written anything regarding curling this past little while because I was hoping to have some things sorted out. Without getting into to much detail the situation with my new team is not one that has been controllable. Due to an unforeseen and extremely serious illness we are a man down. Our fearless leader and skip has been called to the aid of her boyfriend and has been MIA for the past two months. Without question that is where she should be right now, and our thoughts and prayers are extended to them both and there families.
It has been difficult and after waiting things out and exhibiting a huge amount of patience, the situation has not been resolved if she will be joining the team or sitting the season out. Again it would not be a surprise if she sat it out, but we also don't want to assume. There's been a lack of communication. We have all made efforts to contact her to discuss things with her, but with not much luck.
The situation is what it is and in trying to move forward to prepare for our season starting next weekend October 3-7 in Selkirk we need to have some sort of idea of what to expect. It's been a long mentally, physically, and emotionally exhausting couple of month with being left in what I'd call limbo. Please don't misunderstand me, this situation is extremely serious and without a doubt if it was me, curling would be the last thing I'd be doing. The concern is that there has been no indication as to whether she's in, or out. Not a peep. So in theory the remaining team members look for a plan B. Which is what we did and tried to find a spare who could fill the position at skip. It's absolutely difficult at this time of the season to find the odd player capable of fitting into this position as well as agreeing to rearrange there lives to accommodate our hectic schedule.
There are so many scenarios at this point that I don't foresee this team completing the entire season in tact. I hope I'm wrong and I haven't written the team off at all, but there is just to many underlying issues and not enough compromise. As the newbie on the team I find myself in a situation of tug-o-war. It's unfortunate because potentially the caliber of this team is very strong. It just so happens that because of what has happened it has brought other issues, past issues to the surface with the remaining members of the team. Ladies and Gentleman THIS... is women's curling.
And here begins the first tug on that exposed thread on your favorite sweater, pulled until all you're left with is a pile of wool and the size/washing instruction tag.
I can honestly say that I personally, have had my share of 'drama' playing with women and am steering clear of it from here on out. I have goals I want to achieve as a curler and quite frankly this IS a business. You get on a team that share the same goals and wants to achieve the same things. You practise, you work hard, you dedicate yourself to the team, the sport, and get on with it. That is my opinion and that is what I have to offer.
I do have my own PLAN B so to speak. I have offered up my time to spare for Heather Rankin's team of Calgary Alberta. She has a team member expecting a baby any time now, and requires spares to fill in for 8 of her events this season. I have confirmed with her to play in three and hopefully four events. These are as follows:
Nov 7-10 - Colonial Square Ladies Curling Classic - Saskatoon SK.
*Pending Nov 14-17 - Abbottsford Slam - Abbotsford BC *
Nov 26-Dec 30 - Sobey's Slam - New Glasgow NS
Dec 11-15 - John Shea Insurance Canada Cup Qualifier - Ottawa ON.

This will be an amazing opportunity for me on so many levels. The experience, the exposure and to play with an elite group of women curlers. What an opportunity and something for me to look forward to and enjoy playing with Heather once again.
We'll see what comes of it, and I will continue to update everyone and post pictures.
I do plan to continue to play with the girls here in Winnipeg, however have decided to revise my priorities. All this being said, I'm finally putting myself and what makes me happy first. It's been a long time and I have to thank my sister Jacquelyn (forever my #1 fan) for putting the bug in my ear, and my Dad for his wisdom, Inspiration, Strength and kick in the backside. All my love to you both xxoo

No comments: