Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Summer Fun In Manitoba 2008

Good day everyone. I thought before the snow comes and the leaves have finally fallen off the trees I would give you a quick glimpse into what I did for my summer in my home town and surrounding area.
Little did I know that my home town of Pinawa held such a wonderful and relaxing amusement park like ride without the cost! Imagine! The locals here call it Tube Floating. You borrow or purchase an inner tube or a tube that you pull behind a boat and head down to the Diversion Dam in Pinawa. It is recommended that you get a group of people, two or more, to accompany you when you're doing this. The reason for that is due to the starting location and the finishing location. The distance between the start and finish if you were walking would be about 2km. I think. It doesn't seem that far, but I will explain shortly. One person parks there car at the start (being the Dam) and someone else parks there car at the finish which happens to be by the Pinawa Suspension Bridge also next to the Pinawa Cemetery. Sounds creepy but not in the least.
Once you get yourself organized with your floatation device of choice away you go.
The benefit of having a tube that you pull behind a boat is the fact that it has a bottom in it. That way you can put your flip-flops/car keys and any other snacks/drinks you'd like for the ride. Thank goodness RB wasn't about to turn down an invite to go Tube Floating and was kind enough to carry our load for us. I'm referring to my friend Lyndsey from Ottawa. Lyndsey came out for a visit and attempted her first Tube Floating experience with us. It was my second time, but first time with the Inner-Tubes. They are not very stable and not very comfortable as you'll observe in the following photos I attach. Lyndsey fell in immediately upon the start. It was a good thing she went in first so that I could brace myself for my impending launch. I, however, was successful. You do get a great ab work out with Inner-Tubes though so that is a plus.


Oddly enough it looks like I'm not even on an Inner-Tube in this picture, but I am. The picture ended turning out 'funny' so to speak.
On to golfing! I always thought of myself as the 'Happy Gilmore' of golf. I never had any great experiences with it and could only last about 9 holes at the most. I am delighted to say that I've been out golfing four times (which is HUGE) this summer, twice with my folks, once in the Pinawa closing scramble with a team that was STACKED (again I was unaware of this at the time), and this past weekend in a fundraiser for Terry Fox. We had a great time and I got some great pictures of all involved. My parents, George, Cam, Devon and myself. It was best ball thank god, but regardless a fun time and great weather for it.



So, from three of the four times I went out golfing I ended up with some prizes. Imagine! Golf is much more enjoyable when you win prizes. lol. So I won myself a putter, and a whole heck of a lot of golf balls, as well a towel for my non-existence bag and clubs. I'll be scouting for some clubs this fall and see what I can come up with. Would love a pink bag, however whatever gets my attention will be just fine. My birthday is coming up as my mom reminded me, so who knows I may end up with some golf shoes and clubs. My mom, being a golfing expert with her hole in one last year, believe this is something I should continue to pursue on the off season.
I think I might actually like it!
This is a brief indication of how my first summer back in Manitoba has turned out. I've been spending an enormous amount of time with my Mom and Dad, sister Jacquelyn and nieces as well as my other two sisters. It has been great and I wouldn't change anything at all. We've created many more memories and stories to reminisce about for the future and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

No comments: