Friday, September 19, 2008

Let the games begin....

And it begins. I never thought I'd start a blog, but thought I'd give it a go. Now for the readers please note that I am not in anyway a grammar teacher or English major. That being said, please be kind.
For those who know me, they know me to be a very active person. I love sports and work hard at taking care of myself and staying in shape. My passion and love is the game of curling. I had some success when I was in Jr's and skipped a team to the Manitoba Pepsi Jr's way back in 1988 I believe. That was an experience to say the least. I'd been a fearless leader up until that point in time. I did however 'SNAP' so to speak in my confidence at skip when with my last rock I was attempting a freeze against four opposition stones. Things were looking good until my sweeper confessed to burning my rock. This is when the wheels fell off for me. I struggled in later years with my confidence at skip and all due to a burnt rock. Strange really, but young minds tend to be affected differently to certain situations.
Curling took a back seat when I moved to Ottawa to go to college, but upon starting my first job in Montreal and with the persistence of my older sister Jacquelyn I got back into curling while I lived there. I played all positions except skip and enjoyed it all, built my confidence up and became the competitor I used to be while finding my passion for it once more.

Since then I have skipped my own team back in Ottawa and really built my confidence up as well as my growth as an individual and team mate.
I made a difficult decision in moving back to Manitoba December 15, 2007. This was something I never thought in a million years I would do, yet hear I am. I am back in my home town now after a brief career in Winnipeg, and have adapted to the ways of small town life once again. Quite easily to be honest. I've reconnected on many different levels with my parents and am loving each and every day I've had the opportunity to spend with them. They have become my best friends and my inspiration. There is not a day that goes by that I do not consult them for input and deliberate on obstacles and challenges that lie ahead of me.
I will be starting my curling season here in MB with a team based in Winnipeg. A competitive team that I have had the pleasure to meet and greet and get to know. I like what I see and I like our potential for greatness. Our season is to start in October and I'm very much looking forward to getting on the ice and going full throttle.
This is basically a very brief description of what has gone on in my life since leaving Manitoba in '93 and my return.
It is going to be a very busy season in any case and I will have much more to post and share. Until then...Live each day to the fullest, Dance like know one is watching, and when life hands you lemons ask for tequila and salt. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lester!!!!! Love the blog - keep it up :)