Monday, October 11, 2010

3/4'S OF THE WAY COMPLETED!!

Ok, to start I have to give you a little more detail about my previous post regarding the Policea and my dad getting picked up by them.

I received an email from him with more details on what happened. I will copy it word for word for your reading pleasure. :)

"Hey Lesle, hope this gets through to you with no problems. I am having a great time (almost feel guilty). I am in a place called CASTRO URDIALES everywhere you turn is a picture.Wore myself out looking around town. Will be taking a bus to a placed called LOREDO tomorrow 30km is just to much in one day. Leave that to the young ones. Could not find any information in BILBAO when I was there. So I asked a young man where the STATION DE POLICEA was and he showed me. Went inside I explained that I was having trouble getting any information anywhere to get to my next destination they were all talking pigeon English. I asked them if they could stamp my peragrino passport. When I explained that this was the most reliable place to go to get me on my journey (IT WORKED) they brought me a drink of water and asked me to sit down and rest. they did not know they could stamp my passport it was really interesting. I was starting to get embarrassed. They soon realized that my next destination was impossible for them to give me directions for. The came up with another idea. Directed me to the bus stop, but they found that would not work. Another drink of water as they huddled together. They had decided to take me in the police car. I had created such an interest for them in the Camino that they made me tell them more about it. Well as you know sugar, I am the wrong person to ask that question. I had lots of time. I have never seen so many open mouths in my life. I new the next question was coming and it did. 'HOW OLD ARE YOU MR. CAFFERTY?' So I told them, quite embarrassing really. In all, what an obliging bunch of guys they were. Got into the car and they took me to the bus stop. They waited until the bus arrived and talked closely to the driver. After many fond farewells I was on my way. The driver said for me to sit and rest. He would get me to my stop and put me on the trail. He didn't have to. Everyone on the bus had heard what the police had said, of course I could only guess, and when the stop came up everyone on the bus yelled out to me that this was it. They were having a great time waving and calling 'ADIOS PERAGRINO!' Must got to bed sweetheart I am exhausted, all my love miss you lots take care Dad."

Isn't he a great story teller? I love it. I feel like a little girl again sitting on the edge of my seat eager to find out how it ends.
Another short email I received from Dad on October 5.

"Hey Lesle, arrived at a small place called SOMO there was no info office and no policea office to get my passport stamped. I looked around and saw something that looked like it had a security door so I knocked on the door someone pressed a button and the door opened. I asked them could they stamp my passport. They had never seen one before and became all excited when they saw it, I explained if they had a stamp with the company name and the town name that would be perfect. Guess what, they called the manager and relayed the story to him. He brought his stamp and he tried it, (wallah it worked) after lots of handshakes and buen comino peregrino waves I was on my way, must go sweetheart bedtime, all my love. take care Dad."

I emailed my Dad back and explained that he had been telling my friends/colleges about it back home and that now he had a following. I teased him and told him he was becoming a LEGEND!

This was his email to follow.
"Hey Lesle, talking about legends went to the information office in SAN SEBASTIAN and I found this young man kept looking at me after I got served. I was about 100 yards away when he tapped me on the shoulder and said, 'You Peregrino?' I said yes, and he told me about him doing the CAMINO FRANCIES. I said I had done it 3 times. That's when he said 'You have created your own legend.' must go love take care Dad"

Dad has made quite a bit of progress since this last email. My Mom and I hadn't heard from him for quite a number of days until this passed Saturday. He called her and had informed her that he had been sick for the last four days and couldn't call, because he had lost his voice completely. I guess there is a cold/flu going around in Spain like there is here in Canada. It hasn't put a damper on his trip of course. The weather is still very warm and in the 30's. When he called my Mom yesterday he was in Luarca(Above) and today hoping to make it to Navia (Below) a 16km trek. He is staying much closer to the coast line according to the map I have.

That is the latest up date at the moment, and on that note I'd like to wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving. I am thankful for my past and my present, the people who I've had the pleasure of meeting and those who have touched my life, I'm thankful for good health, wonderful friends, and the inspiration, strength, and love of my Mom and Dad. XXOO

No comments: