Wednesday, October 20, 2010

MISSION COMPLETE!


Tuesday October 19th, 2010:

Another very interesting story from my Dad.

"I must tell you my story of when I went to the pilgrims mass. The whole Cathedral is being renovated so there is scaffolding everywhere. I found I just had to sit down. So I moved a bit of barrier tape from around some of the scaffolding to make some room for myself and sat down. A gentleman and his wife sat next to me, and as the mass proceeded another man sat on my other side. He looked at me and smiled. Of course I smiled back. When it came to everyone wishing each other peace he shook my hand vigorously, and said 'I have found you ',and hugged me again.
I was not uncomfortable at all. I went to communion and after mass this man
took my had again and kept shaking it, and I noticed he was a priest. He was a dutch priest. He said he had been given this assignment to go SANTIAGO and then onto BENIDORM in Spain. He asked his supervisor why, and his boss had told him he would find the reason in Santiago. He explained when he sat by my side he knew that god had sent him their to meet with me. I was stunned, my mouth was open in amazement because he was shaking and weeping with joy at having found me among the many thousands of people in Santiago with him. He thanked me profusely for completing his mission for him. At that moment he took the scallop shell from around his neck and put it around mine. He was overjoyed and displayed a much lighter step as he bid me goodbye. I was still wiping the tears away after he had gone.
As I keep mentioning to you love, I still feel that I am not here for me alone. There has got to be another reason, remember sweetheart enjoy your skillful endeavors and stay focused. I am really tired now. I love and miss you so much. I will be home shortly all my lov
e take care Dad."

The most recent email from my Dad was on OCTOBER 20, 2010.

"Hey Lesle, I have been reading your blog. Don't you be bragging about your dad! I am so happy that you are so proud. You know that I am really flattered and I love you for it. I went for dinner with my friends after arriving in the city(Santiago in distance on the right). I had to go to the bathroom and when I came back everyone was grinning at me. I looked down and my fly was open. They were still grinning when a lady tapped me on my shoulder and asked in English where I was from in Canada. Quick on my feet I stood-up and asked how she knew I was from Canada? She had seen my provincial flag on my jacket so I asked where she was from. She said Winnipeg, and I replied, 'Pinawa.' It was strange she was shaking with excitement. She immediately through her arms around me saying you are my soul-mate! She was with a Scotsman and they were going to serve a two week spell at an Albergue along the northern route. We talked and talked. I met them for breakfast the following morning and talked and talked some more. She also knew about the pilgrims meeting in Winnipeg so we planned to meet again their. I must go for now my love my back is breaking. forgive me. The communications seem to be working I am so happy about that, all my love sweetheart, take care Dad. "

Now that Dad has arrived at his destination ahead of time, he is going to sit back and enjoy the experience with his new friends. With my Mom and sister Janet in flight to England as I type, he will be able to show them around his beloved Santiago and share his new stories with them.
I wish very much that I could be their with them, but I have other commitments at the moment keeping me home. For now I am living vicariously through my Dad, but mark my words as I blog about him, that one day soon he will be blogging about me and my experience during my 500 mile walk from France to Spain to complete my very own Camino De Santiago.

Good night for now, updates will continue. Safe travels everyone. :) XXOO


1 comment:

ksam said...

Ummm ... wow just doesn't cut it! Papa Cafferty, you are amazing!