Tuesday, October 4, 2011

October 1/11 Villafranca Del Bierzo - O´Cebreiro

It´s been a busy couple of days.  Yesterday Dad and I walked from  Villafranca Del Bierzo to Pereje to Trabadelo.  It was SMOKING hot!!  9.5 kilometers later we get to Portela where we took a bus to Pedrafita and a taxi to O´Cebreiro.  The reason for this is that from Portela its is an uphill climb right to O´Cebreiro.  We were looking at 15km up a mountain. Normally this would be something I would welcome, however with dad´s bionic hips (hip replacements) he shouldn´t be at a 45 degree angle.  All of the mountains we´ve climbed and yes they are mountains, have been incredibly steep.  The unfortunately thing is the happiness of meeting that goal and getting to the top ends quite shortly when you see what the angle of decline in which you must follow with.  I can´t believe my Dad has done this particular route 31/2 times.  I know how I feel, how my feet feel at the end of the day and my calves have never EVER been tighter.  The knots..good god!  I´m fortunate to have escaped thus far without any serious blisters.

No comments: