Tuesday, October 4, 2011

October 2/11 O´Cebreiro - Triacastela (22KM)

Dad and I had a fantastic dady today. The terrain was very comfortable for the most part.  We were up in the mountains for the most part and enjoyed the scenery.  We met Susan from London today and travelled with her for a short time.  It was nice to have some company and get to know someone knew.
We struggled however with the decent down the mountain.  It was nothing I have ever experienced before.  Very painful on the feet and knees.  We had done so well up until this point.  Dad´s poor feet took a beating as did mine and our calves were screaming!!
When we did finally get down that mountain we met a couple of people from Ireland. God you got a love people with an accent like that!  Triena and Deklin.  They thought it was so great that a father and daughter were doing the Camino together.  They were staying at an Allbergue, but we moved on to a Pension which was more private very much like a hotel. After our first time in an allbergue it was like being in a barnyard.  I didn´t sleep a wink and was sooo grumpy the next morning.  After a nice hot shower and a change of clothes Dad and I went out for some dinner.  We had bacon, rice, sausage, and fried eggs with a bottle of red wine. Everything, just so you know, comes with wine you can´t escape it.  I had 3 glasses, and no dad didn´t have to carry me home. ha ha.
In finding this Pension dad and I had run into a couple of women who stopped us. It appears that rumours had been running through the grapevine or down the Peregrino lines already.  These women noticed the Canada flag on my bag and stopped us to ask me if this man I was with was the, what I understood as the one who was doing his 78th Camino. LOL  well what had happened was that Susan from London must have told someone that Dad would be 78 years old next month and was doing the camino with his daughter.  we laughed, but were delighted obviously.  But just so you know Dad is not the oldest one doing this Trek this year.  We have run into a tour group of 30+ from Norway and one of the women is 79 1/2 and another woman is 74.  You should see this group move. They are trucking it. We pass them and they pass us..it goes on and on. Everytime they see us though they yell out ´Hey Canada!´ I just laugh and joke to dad to ´WATCH OUT the Norweigens are coming!´

No comments: