Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Beginning - Ponferrada-Cacebelos September 29/11

Fortaleza Templara Ponferrada
 Dad and I took a bus to Ponferrada from Leon.  Ponferrada was our original starting point. It´s 200 km from Santiago.  In order to qualify for your Compastella you need to walk at least 100km.  With the time line I have of 2 weeks we´d thought we´d squeak in another 100k what the heck.
I had always asked dad how he knew where to go, but quite honestly if you know what to look for it is very easy.  The scallop shells in the cobble stone roads, the yellow arrows painted on the side of  a wall and on the pavement,  and upright signs at most intersections with a Peregrino and scallop shell pointing the way.  It´s really very interesting.
The weather has been fantastic, but also a scorcher depending on if you have any shelter while your walking.  We have walked through the most immaculate paths and country side you could imagine. You can´t imagine this stuff up, and it´s all natural.  My jaw has been on the floor on more than one occasion. 


We walked through a vineyard today.  The smell was unbelievable.  Wine itself doesn´t smell this good!  it was beautiful and just fascinating.  In the middle of this vineyard I decided to leave my first dedication to a wonderful lady who passed away recently of a brain tumor.  I wrote her name on a live strong wrist band and placed it on a branch amongst the vines along side this path of this vineyard.  I felt it was a perfect place for her to enjoy such beautiful scenery, scents and to enjoy one of the richest things in life.  To say it was emotional for me is an understatement.  Many mixed emotions, but what better place for my memory of her to be.  Enjoying a nice glass of vino over looking the vineyard. Rest in peace Sara.


No comments: